Research Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
[ April 30, 2018 ]
We are seeking an Organic or Medicinal Chemist with a PhD and 0-5 years of professional experience (or BSc/MSc degree with extensive industry experience and skills comparable to a PhD) who has demonstrated significant impact on research or drug discovery programs by applying their superb synthetic or medicinal chemistry skills. He/she should possess the ability to plan and execute challenging targets independently and be familiar with novel discovery technologies. Experience in mentoring and supervising direct reports or managing CRO Chemists is a plus. The Research Scientist should also have a solid understanding of drug discovery databases and biology so he/she can track SAR/SPR closely to design analogues with improved biological and physical properties. A keen interest in hypothesis driven drug discovery, strong problem solving skills, and the ability to work in a team environment by engaging with cross-functional Scientists are key elements of the role.
• Design drug candidates that advance SAR/SPR based on modern medicinal chemistry tools.
• Execute the synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecules efficiently.
• Work closely with all members of the Chemistry department, particularly those in senior roles, to influence the progress of projects.
• Demonstrate leadership in keeping abreast of recent scientific developments, patents and primary literature.
• Prepare timely technical reports, SOPs, patent procedures, summaries and quantitative analyses.
• Prepare presentation materials and clearly communicate research results at meetings.
• Develop and implement the design of synthetic routes to target compounds.
• Assist in the analysis of data and interpretation of results and recommend appropriate action.
• Maintain a detailed laboratory notebook according to Corporate standards and SOPs.
• Engage with Scientists in a matrix cross-functional team environment.
• Ph.D. degree in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry, post-doctoral training and 0-5 years of pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience or BSc/MSc degree with extensive industry experience and demonstrated ability to formulate and execute a research project with skills comparable to a PhD. Hiring level consistent with the experience of the candidate.
• Strong academic and practical background in modern synthetic, organic or medicinal chemistry design and methodology.
• Solid experience and scientific understanding of modern drug discovery technologies including, molecular modeling, DMPK, metabolism and physical properties.
• Track record in managing and supervising direct reports in a dynamic environment is a plus but not required.
• Solid to excellent information technology (IT) skills, including data and information retrieval (such as Vortex, D360 spotfire etc.).
• Demonstrable ability to work in a team environment and to multitask
• Strong communication skills and work ethic.
• A commitment to continuous learning and a demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced environment with rapidly-changing priorities.
To apply for this position, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include “Medicinal Chemistry” in the subject line. All attachments must be saved as one file and be named: “Your Full Name – Medicinal Chemistry.” We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.