Research Scientist, Electrophysiology
[ October 10, 2018 ]
We are in search of a highly motivated and creative electrophysiologist who will contribute to characterizing and elucidating the effects of novel agents on the function of target ion channels. The primary role will be to develop and run electrophysiological assays using techniques including automated high throughput planar patch clamp systems and manual patch clamp electrophysiology. In addition, this scientist will devise and conduct experiments to deepen our understanding of compound mechanism of action on our targets of interest. Our intent is to identify a scientist with the potential to actively and independently evaluate and drive new avenues of research. Expertise in electrophysiology and biophysics is essential. The successful candidate will join a passionate, diverse, and dynamic team focused on developing treatments for epilepsy and other neurologic indications. This position is located in our Burnaby, BC office.
- Creating, implementing and validating new assays of ion channel and or excitable cell function both independently and as part of a larger team.
- Timely delivery of data and interpretation to drive and inform project team directions.
- Active participation in and presentation at group and project meetings.
- Coordination and documentation of datasets to support internal decision making as well as external publications and regulatory filings.
- May supervise research associates.
- Ph.D. or commensurate experience in ion channel biophysics, neuropharmacology or related field with an in depth knowledge of electrophysiological techniques essential.
- Experience investigating ion channel function and or pharmacology electrophysiology and creatively quantifying effects in these assays.
- Excellent analytical skills allowing for qualitative and quantitative evaluation of complex systems and datasets and distillation of that data into clear, insightful interpretations.
- Experience handling and managing large datasets.
- Enthusiasm for laboratory work, good problem solving abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent record keeping, attention to detail.
- An adaptable mindset, able to adapt to rapidly changing projects and priorities; takes initiative.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and enthusiastic team environment is critical.
To apply for this position, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Electrophysiologist” in the subject line. All attachments must be saved as one file and be named: “Your Full Name – Electrophysiologist.” We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.