Director, Medical Affairs
[ November 27, 2019 ]
We are seeking a Director, Medical Affairs to join our team. The Director, Medical Affairs will develop strategies, plans and processes to establish, lead and manage a Medical Affairs function at Xenon. The Director will be a key member of a highly collaborative Clinical Development team. This is a hands-on role that will initially be an individual contributor with the possibility of growing a team in accordance with business needs.
The Director will have proven leadership ability in a fast paced, multi-location environment and interact with all levels of internal staff, as well as external stakeholders, including, but not limited to CRO’s, Key Opinion Leaders and Advisory Boards and Committees.
Initially reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, this position will be located in the Vancouver area, BC, Canada or the Boston area, MA, USA; we may consider other locations for an exceptional candidate.
- Plan, propose and execute strategic scientific and medical communication plans; collaborate with internal departments and external stakeholders to author and review journal articles, abstracts, posters and oral presentations for scientific and medical congresses, symposia and journals related to the company’s clinical programs and data
- Develop and manage KOL identification and engagement strategies and plans
- Build a maintain product knowledge database(s) to develop and track responses to medical questions posed by physicians, patients and regulators
- Plan, propose and direct patient advocacy activities, including building and maintaining relationships with Patient Advocacy groups, administering patient support activities, and representing patient communities to internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with Chief Medical Officer, Therapeutic Area Head(s), Clinical Science, Clinical Operations, Biometrics, Medical Writing, Regulatory, Clinical Supply and Development Program Management to ensure highly integrated cross functional project plans for programs and trials
- Represent the Company and Medical Affairs function in interactions, both in writing and in person, with CROs, FDA, EMA and other Health Authorities, Investigator Meetings, Advisory Boards, and other interactions with Key Opinion Leaders
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant issues related to drug development, Health Authority regulations, and commercial and competitive trends to inform input and recommendations
- Develop and maintain relevant Standard Operating Procedures and other policies, procedures and systems relevant to the department; collaborate with Quality to plan and execute compliant activities
- Develop and propose short and long term goals for the department in accordance with overall Company and Development and Commercial strategies
- Plan and manage budget proposals and approved budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic and operating plans and Finance policies
- Recruit, lead, direct, develop, coach and evaluate direct reports, if any, in accordance with the Company’s Human Resource policies and practices
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports, if any
- PhD, Pharm, MD, or other recognized doctorate level education with supporting applicable health science background with 10 years relevant management experience is preferred; MSc may be considered in combination with relevant experience
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, ability to build credibility and trust inside and outside the Company
- Proven ability to build and develop high performing teams; excellent delegation and conflict resolution skills
- Be science and data driven while at the same time, creative and flexible in strategic thinking and problem solving
- Ability to travel up to 25%, both domestically and internationally
To apply for this position, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Director, Medical Affairs” in the subject line. All attachments must be saved as one file and be named: “Your Full Name – Director, Medical Affairs”. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.